A proprietary blend of substrate ideally suited to tropical naturalistic / bio active / live planted terrariums / vivariums / paludariums housing Dart Frogs, Day Geckos, Chameleons, Crested Geckos etc. etc.
Pollywog’s Planted Terrarium Blend is formulated to allow terrarium plants to flourish, custodian insects to thrive, and your terrarium inhabitants to live happy healthy lives in a naturalistic environment. Our blend is made up of the following ingredients:
- Moss Peat: Decayed dried sphagnum moss – acidic, fibrous and nutrient rich with exceptional water holding ability.
- Mature Leaf Mould: A favourite with old-school Herpetologists but hard to obtain commercially – packed full of forest floor nutrients.
- Sedge Peat: A type of leaf mould made from the leaves and stalks of Sedge (Carex sp.).
- Coco Fibre: Coconut husk fibre – relatively free draining but with good water holding ability and long lasting.
- Fine Orchid Bark: A fine grade of Pine bark – helps with drainage and aeration of the substrate.
- Bark Mould: Decomposed Pine bark – helps to aerate the substrate, retain moisture while remaining free draining and provide nutrients for terrarium plants.
- Wood Charcoal: Crushed low temperature charcoal – helping to aerate the substrate blend while providing prolonged biological and chemical stability against microbial activity keeping the terrarium healthy.
- Activated Carbon: Biochar – High temperate Coconut Charcoal – reduces the substrates acidity, retains nutrients, and reduces N2O & methane emissions from decaying material.
- Carpet Moss: Milled carpet / sheet moss – helps to retain moisture for terrarium plants and promote the spontaneous growth of mosses and ferns.
- Boreal Forest Moss: Milled Hypnaceae moss – helps to retain moisture for terrarium plants and promote the spontaneous growth of mosses and ferns.
- New Zealand Sphagnum Moss: Milled long-grain sphagnum moss – exceptional moisture retaining ability great for cultivating young terrarium plants.
- Chilean Sphagnum Moss: Milled long-grain sphagnum moss – exceptional moisture retaining ability great for cultivating young terrarium plants.
- Limestone Flour: Reduces acidity.
- Forest Fertiliser: Frass – a natural bloom stimulant with high nutrient levels and beneficial bacteria. The chitin content of frass also helps plants to defend from pests and pathogens.
For best results we recommend using this substrate as a mid-layer for planting with a drainage layer underneath and topped with a layer of moss or leaf litter.
We do not include custodian insects in this mix so it may be stored successfully and shipped year round.
Measured loose, we may slightly compact this product to ease shipping, when opened and fluffed up it will return to the volume stated.